Thursday, July 16, 2009

Did you see that doco on TV?

I'm sure I wasn't the only viewer to watch the documentary titled Fairweather Man and ask myself "Was that eccentric and reclusive Australia-based genius artist with the completely out-of-control toe nails on the autistic spectrum, OR WHAT?" I'm not the first blogger to make such speculation about the late Ian Fairweather, and I'm sure I wont be the last. I thought the anecdote about the hammer and the nails was priceless.

Link to promo about the documentary:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200907/programs/ZY9058A001D16072009T213000.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very gifted Aspie!!!

Lili Marlene said...

Fairweather's paintings don't have a huge appeal for me personally, but it is clear that he was a very important and also very popular artist (in his time) in Australia.

I find it rather interesting that Fairweather was so fascinated with Chinese culture and knew Asian languages, as I have argued that another very important and famous Australian Sinophile is autistic.

I also found it so interesting that so many people commenting on Fairweather in the doco felt sorry for the artist (one woman in tears)because of his solitary life, or expressed the belief that he was unhappy or troubled in some way. Didn't they feel at least a little bit of envy? As a mother and wife I often feel very much divided when I read about or hear about the lives of eccentric recluses and solitary achievers.