Friday, May 06, 2011

Love Google, but technical problems still to be resolved

I've been a fan of Google since before it was even Google. I remember the time when the top internet search engines were names like Fast, Hot Bot, Northern Light, Alta Vista and Yahoo. There were also lots of cumbersome meta-search engines. These were much loved by librarians who knew about the limitations of any one search engine. The range and absolute numbers of coverage of the internet of the major search engines were the subjects of much interest and speculation. Then along came a new idea in search engines - a search engine that had some special algorithm that enabled it to boost the rankings of web pages according to how popular those web pages were. It was called Google beta, and it looked like it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. The rest is history.

I've been writing in this blog for many years with Blogger, which is I believe owned by Google. It hasn't cost me one red cent in all this time, but my work has had many thousands of reads in this time. I'm most grateful to Google for this long-term, reliable and free service, not only to me but also to my readers. Unfortunately, I still have a few issues with my blog posting since a recent computer upgrade, and my technical consultant guy is too busy at present sorting out more immediately urgent technical issues in the world beyond the internet to have had time to look into this problem, so I hope my readers don't mind too much the continuing complete lack of visual appeal of my blog.

No comments: