Wednesday, September 28, 2011

No escape from gender segregation at the supermarket

It seems so unnecessary that foods and drinks should be assigned gender identities by advertising and marketing people. This kind of silliness makes about as much sense as my ordinal linguistic personification, which is a neurological quirk that gives rise to gender associations with inanimate objects and concepts that seem completely daft, but at least my OLP doesn't impose questionable ideas about sex differences into other people's experience of grocery shopping.

Are a dozen eggs in bright pink packaging with a girly-looking design in any way more suitable for the female consumer than a dozen eggs in more ordinary and gender-neutral packaging? What kind of woman (or man) needs or desires this product? Am I thought odd because I am often seen enjoying a brand of iced coffee that is the subject of advertising and promotional competitions that appear to be exclusively aimed at blue-collar men? I just like the taste of the stuff! I guess it's a good thing that I just don't give a damn.

No comments: